Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"Canvas" Fashion Spot (at least I think it was a fashion spot...)





Yesterday I was on set as a 2nd AC for the RED ONE. It seemed like no one on the crew knew what we were really shooting or who it was for. But by the end of the day we concluded that It was a fun and playful spot for a somewhat decent fashion line. The spot's visual theme was "canvas", so the models were being playful in a white void and at the end they spray paint the "TV"screen of the viewer. This footage will be inter-cut with footage of the models in front of a very well art-directed set with paintings and art supplies. The lighting was of course very soft and high key and the models looked great.

Anyway, my intentions were to learn more about the RED ONE, and I did, thanks to Johnny who was the 1st AC/DIT (odd combination but it's because I wasn't fully knowledgeable on managing RED data. So I apologize to him for having to run back in forth between the dumping station and the monitor to pull focus for Chase (DP) lol), I was able to physically touch the camera more. By doing that I was able to confirm everything that I have been reading on the camera. The best thing Johnny taught me was how to work with lenses as the 2nd AC. How to mount and un-mount lenses on the RED Bayonet mount. He also taught me the proper way to hand off lenses to another person as well as what and what not to bring with you while running a lens from it's lens case. All great information! Thanks Johnny!

Unfortunately, there was no chance of me getting hands on with the RED data while dumping because the director's set up was not the correct set up for this work flow. Johnny was literally just copying all of the raw data onto the hard drives which he mentioned is completely unsafe because you should always look at the footage to spot any problems that might be fixable on set while everyone is still on set. It would be interesting if we shot all day and nothing came out right so then either we'd have to re-shoot or just leave it as is.

Aside from the things I learned during the beginning of the day during the set-up, a few cool things happened.

1) Flipping the RED ONE upside down and cradling it in your arm like a baby is pretty interesting. ( I had to hold it while Johnny mounted the base plate for the steady cam.)

2) Seeing the RED ONE on the steady cam was a treat in itself. It just looks bad ass.


But, believe it or not most of my day was pretty uneventful and boring. I ended up having to make runs with the Director for some things that he needed for the shoot. Packing a large pedestal (a metal spinning platform that runs on a motor with an adjustable speed) into his really expensive Mercedes was not fun. Somehow I ended up operating the fan to get movement in the clothes in model's hair. I was really bored but Johnny came over and joked around with me, He said "Hey there buddy, are you learning a lot today?!" and I said "Sure am!" haha. And of course the part with the high power fan and the models skirt and the fact that she's standing but im sitting Indian style on the floor but we're not going to get into that. There just wasn't that much for me to do this time around.




My point of view for most of the shoot. Behind the fan...

Anyway, it was a good day regardless and it was a lot better than sitting at home doing nothing. Shout outs to Johnny Sousa (1st AC/DIT), Chasel Bowman (Director of Photography), Zeynep Catal (Key Grip) and Blake Eichenseer (Gaffer). Great crew! I hope to see these guys again in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment