Monday, September 28, 2009

"The Existential Question" Short Film








I just came off of the first two days of production on the short film called "The Existential Question". The first time director, Ernesto Diaz, did pretty good for being inexperienced. We had a lot of fun and the story is great from what I saw on set. More on that later. Actually the diner scenes took place in Clinton Diner where a scene from Goodfellas was shot as well as a car chase scene from The Sopranos, so it was a very cool location. I'm going to have to come back one day with Pia (my girlfriend).

I was assigned as a grip but shortly after arriving on set on the first day I was quickly promoted to gaffer. I guess the other guy didnt show up. The same thing happened to Emilie Jackson who was the other grip but ended up 1st ACing. Pretty interesting. She kicked ass by the way. We worked along side cinematographer, Marcin Kapron, who was great fun to work with. We shot on the Sony EX-1 with a letus 35 extreme and carl zeiss primes. The shots came out great and Marcin provided his awesome hand-held style to many of the shots. I ended up learning more on different types of diffusion for controlling light. I was also inspired to research more on different types of gels thanks to Marcin.

Other than those major details, shout outs to Jaime Ekkens (2nd AC), Spencer Moore (Boom Op), Emilie Jackson (1st AC), Marcin Kapron (Cinematographer), and all the wonderful crew and amazing actors that I didn't list. I hope to work with these guys again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment